Common Fire Hazards To Look Out For In Pompano Beach, Florida
A house fire can be traumatic, but it can also be prevented.
A majority of home fires come from common hazards listed below. Learning what these hazards are and how to prevent them is sure to help keep you and your family safe.
1. Cooking. Cooking is one of the main causes of house fires than anything else. This includes using microwaves, cooking oil, fryers, etc. in your Pompano Beach home — the biggest concern with cooking is unattended cooking, that is what leads to most home fires.
- Never leave the kitchen unattended while cooking, especially when using oil or high temperatures.
- Be sure that all heating elements are turned off immediately after cooking is done.
- Keep combustible items like dish towels and loose clothing away from cooking surfaces.
- Bear in mind that Thanksgiving and other holidays lead the way in terms of most dangerous single days for cooking, so be extra astute.
2. Heating equipment. This includes your furnace, fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, etc.
- Have chimneys/fireplaces cleaned and inspected once per year — this is the leading cause of home fires related to heating.
- Have furnace inspected every year, change filters regularly, and consider having air ducts professionally cleaned to prevent the accumulation of dust.
- Never set clothes/shoes on a radiator or space heater to dry.
- Space heaters account for one-third of heating fires. Keep any flammable material at least three feet away, and make sure the heater is on an even and stable surface. Never leave space heaters on overnight or when you leave the home (there are timed space heaters that turn off after 1-4 hours that are a better option). Only use space heaters that shut off automatically when tipped over.
3. Electrical equipment. This includes electric appliances, lighting, outlets, and wiring.
- Check all appliances/lighting for frayed or damaged cords. Unplug and replace immediately if any are found.
- Use tamper resistant (TR) outlets. The average home has 75 outlets, and we all remember as kids how tempting it was to stick things in there. TR outlets utilize small shutters so that only a plug with two/three prongs can be inserted.
- Don’t overload outlets with high-wattage devices. Be especially wary of this in bathrooms and kitchens, and spread out your appliances as best as you can. It’s recommended to only have one high-wattage device per outlet.
- If you have regular problems with an outlet or wiring (sparking, frequent blown fuse, constant flickering in lights), contact an electrician to handle the problem instead of letting it fester.
- In lighting, use light bulbs that match the fixture’s recommended wattage.
- Only utilize extension cords as temporary use devices. If you are using one full-time in your home or garage, install another outlet.
- Don’t run extension cords under rugs, carpet, furniture, etc. Cords can get warm, and if it frays/wears out, it will pose a hazard.
Candles. Are often seen as the number one fire hazard (they aren’t), but with a few small measures, you can nearly eliminate the chance of a home fire happening from a candle.
- As you can imagine, winter is the most dangerous time for candles, with Christmas and New Year’s being the single worst days. Be extra aware, especially on holidays when there’s wrapping paper all over.
- One-third of candle fires start in the bedroom. If you want to have a romantic evening, make sure that candles are on a stable surface and won’t be knocked over. Keep it sexy but safe, folks.
- Keep candles at least a foot away from anything that will easily burn; more than half of candle fires start because they came in contact with a combustible material.
- Blow all candles out when leaving the room.
- Always keep candles out of reach of children.
Accidents involving children. We’ve all been there: kids love fire. Combine that with their insatiable curiosity, and you have a potential disaster on your hands. Heed the following tips to make sure your kids stay safe:
- Keep anything with a possible open flame out of reach of kids. This includes lighters, matches, candles, etc.
- Most of the fires in this category are caused by kids under 10 who play with matches and lighters. Even if you take the above advice, it seems like kids can still find ways to get their hands on fire. Most often, they know it’s bad, so will play in their rooms or closets. Be sure to: regularly check on your kids (especially if doors are closed and they are being extra quiet), know how many lighters/match boxes are in the home and where they are, bring up any melted toys you may find or burned spots on clothing.
- The best thing you can do is to simply teach your children about fire and fire safety. Teach them the escape plan, the sound of the smoke alarm, and even how to use fire as a tool. When they get old enough, let them help with the fire pit in your backyard, or with burning the brush in the fall (if legal in your area, of course). Taking the mystery out of fire is a good way to decrease their curiosity about it.
Grilling. ESPN anchor Hannah Storm’s accident last year brought grilling safety to the forefront of people’s minds. If done properly, grilling is perfectly safe, but without thought or care it can turn dangerous very quickly.
- Always, always grill outside. Garages don’t count as outside. It should be placed well away from the home, as well as from decks and low-hanging tree branches.
- Clean the removable parts of your grill regularly, and don’t let grease build up on the trays underneath propane grills.
- Never leave the grill unattended.
- Check for propane leaks at least once per year. To do this, apply a light soap and water solution to the gas tank hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If there is a leak, immediately turn off the gas.
- Do not smoke while grilling.
- When done cooking, ensure that the burner controls are turned off and that the propane cylinder valve in closed.
- If you have a cover, make sure the grill is off and cooled before covering.
Clothes dryers. Seeing as how lint is a fantastic firestarter, it makes sense that an ill-maintained dryer could pose a serious threat.
- While it’s not common these days, don’t use a dryer that doesn’t have a lint filter.
- Clean the lint filter after every load. Also clean any lint from around the drum, and around the housing for the lint filter.
- At least once per year check the air exhaust pipe to the exterior of the home. Ensure that there is no blockage. While the dryer is running, you should feel (and smell) the fresh laundry air coming out.
- Preferably, don’t leave the dyer on overnight or while you’re not home.
- Don’t overload the dryer, as it can lead to an excess of lint.
Many of these tips are common sense, and yet when we have other things on our mind (especially at dinnertime, around the holidays, etc.), we can lose track of those basic precautions we’re normally on top of. You can never play it too safe with fire prevention. The most valuable things in the world — our home and families — depend on it.
Call the professionals at SERVPRO of Pompano Beach at (954)970-4942 to help you with any fire related damage, we can make it "Like it never even happened." To read a list of fire damage restoration visit our homepage at http://www.SERVPROpompanobeach.com
How SERVPRO of Pompano Beach Helps To Control Mold In Commercial Spaces
Let SERVPRO of West Palm Beach help prevent mold in your commercial space without the use of harmful chemicals by using EPA-registered "Concrobium".
After mold damage, you want to make sure the mold stays out and doesn't come back. This is especially true for commercial offices, restaurants and other commercial spaces. Keeping appliances well maintained, hiring professionals to remediate commercial spaces, and quickly fixing leaks are some of the top ways to do so. However, what about after the cleanup from mold damage?
The professionals at SERVPRO of West Palm Beach use Concrobium Mold Control® when cleaning up a commercial space. This cleaning solution is an EPA-registered solution that remediates and prevents mold without any harmful chemicals. The colorless, odorless solution is used by professionals for: 1) Mold clean-up and prevention, 2) Disaster restoration, 3) Pre-treatment of building materials 4) Musty odor control Concrobium® Mold Control dries to form an invisible antimicrobial shield that encapsulates and physically crushes mold spores. The antimicrobial barrier remains on surfaces to provide continuous protection against mold growth. This solution is key to helping keep mold away.
A little tip to keeping mold away from your commercial space is to use se mold-resistant products and materials in your commercial business. When working in a humid climate like West Palm Beach, it’s advisable to equip your commercial space with mold-resistant materials – plastic, metal or glass household items and surfaces (instead of wooden ones), tile or laminate floors (instead of carpeted ones), moisture-resistant drywall in which the gypsum core is covered in fiberglass so that the surface becomes impervious to water (instead of traditional drywall in which the core is pressed between plies of paper), paint that contains mildewcides (chemicals that effectively inhibit mold growth), etc.
If your business or commercial space needs mold remediation and cleaning, call SERVPRO of West Palm Beach at (561)795-5410 or visit our homepage for a list of our mold related services at http://www.SERVPROwestpalmbeachfl.com
Hidden Commercial Water Damage: How To Spot It and What To Do
Learning how to spot hidden water damage in commercial spaces and businesses in West Palm Beach can help you get your business up and running again!
Commercial water damage in West Palm Beach can strike at any time, day or night. With most commercial water damage being invasive in nature, having it restored and cleaned in a quick time frame means your business can be up and running in no time. To do so, you'll have to start by checking to see if your commercial business or space has hidden damage. Sometimes the damage is as obvious as a visible pipe that is leaking water on to your commercial floor. More often than so however, is that the source of water damage is hidden and so are the devastating effects.
Here are some helpful tips to spot water damage:
- Stains on the wall or ceiling
- Discoloration in drywall is a sign that there is previous or ongoing water damage. The stains may be yellow, brown, or faint outlines.
- A musky smell
- A musky smell may indicate the presence of mold due to water damage. Mold-especially in the humidity of South Florida- does not take long to grow in the right conditions
- Warping in the floor or baseboard
- When certain materials like wood soak up water, they buckle and warp. If there is visible warping or buckling of floors, there may be water underneath.
- Excessive utility bills
- If there are no other visible signs of water damage but you are still suspicious... check your water bill! Excessive charges on your water bill may indicate a damaged pipe that could be releasing water into your home.
If you believe your commercial space or business is being affected by water damage, call SERVPRO of West Palm Beach at (561)795-5410 for a professional consultation. We'll have your business up and running again in no time!
FINDING OUT THE CAUSE OF RAIN LEAKS IN YOUR PALM BEACH HOME AND WHAT TO DO NEXT
Don't let heavy rainfall cause water damage to your home.
It’s annoying, frustrating, and can be quite costly to find a rain leak when heavy rainfall hits West Palm Beach, Florida. Being one of the leading causes for water damage, rain leaks are a headache for any homeowner to deal with. But no need to worry, the professionals at SERVPRO have gathered a few helpful tips to get you through this pesky water situation.
There could be a number of different reasons as to why your home is experiencing a rain leak and this could be due to what your home is made of. If it’s brick, concrete, or wood framed, there is a main rooted source to the rain leak. Did you know that water damage is the second highest filed insurance claim in North America? Yeah, water can lead to some unexpected costs if not handled properly especially since rain related water intrusions are not covered by insurance. Getting the leak fixed soon is extremely important to saving money in repairs.
One main reason why rain leaks occur is due to brick cracking. If your home is made primarily of brick, or has brick in it’s composition, rain leaks are still possible. Weather conditions, time and erosion all cause brick and all stonework to eventually develop cracks. These cracks need to be repaired by a skilled tradesperson. As soon as you find a leak in your home, calling the professionals at SERVPRO of West Palm Beach is the first step to cleaning up the damage already done.
Another reason for rain leaks is a problem with your roof. This one may seem obvious, but if you can’t clearly see it you may easily dismiss it. A hole or imperfection or even a piece of debris on your roof can cause rain leaks. We recommend calling a professional roofer to climb up on your roof and check it out, but there could be a hole in your roof that is being covered by a piece of debris. On the other hand, there may be a piece of debris, which could make a hole or vulnerable spot on your roof as it rubs against the surface.
Now that you have a better understanding of how a rain leak can occur in your home and what to do, you can rest assured that SERVPRO of West Palm Beach can be there as soon as the same day for any water damage disaster.
If you’re experiencing a rain leak in your home give us a call at (561) 795-5410
Or visit us at http://www.SERVPROwestpalmbeachfl.com
How To Make Sure Your Home's Roof Is Safe After A Storm in West Palm Beach
Checking Your Roof Can Save You Time and Money After A Storm
Hurricane seasons can been record breakers in their amount of intensity and property damage. However, homes in a storm tracks may not be the only ones who need a professional's attention. Catastrophic winds and flying debris have been known to take a toll on roofs all over the Eastern Seaboard and Gulf Coast. Home and property owners should always be arranging for post-storm inspections whenever a storm passes by. This ensures that contractors like SERVPRO can provide any necessary repairs before the difficulties of seasonal changes begin.
Inside: If you have an attic and can get to it, start there during daylight.
- If you see any sunlight peeking through holes in the plywood, that's a good indicator of roof damage, which in turn could already have water accumulated.
- If you can't find any visible holes use a flashlight to find any dark stains or sagging, this could also mean moisture is present and in turn need attention.
Outside: By walking around the perimeter of your house you should be able to see most of your roof and inspect for the following problems that can cause water damage:
- Shingles that are missing
- Any deformed shingles that are cracked, bent, etc.
- Dark patches of shingles. These shingles could dry out over time and lead to water leaks.
- Debris. Something as simple as a tree branch can cause damage over time if not removed right away. It could also be hiding a hole in your roof.
If you find damage: Call a local, reputable roofing contractor right away and then contact SERVPRO of West Palm Beach at (561) 795-5410 to help with water damage.
The sooner you address any hurricane-season damage, the more secure your roof and home will be for the upcoming months.
Making A Mold Remediation Easy With A "Production Crew Chief"
A Production Crew Chief helps maintain a good workflow for every Mold Remediation job performed.
One of SERVPRO®'s most vital aspects to it's superior job performance in Mold Remediation is having a great Production Crew Chief. Not only is it important to have technicians who are highly trained to complete the job, but the leadership that is set through the Production Crew Chief is what helps the job be completed quickly and efficiently. Below are just a few of the responsibilities held by the Production Crew Chief that show SERVPRO® cares about customer satisfaction when it comes to helping you with any size disaster.
- Quick response to service calls
- 24 hours a day.
- Fulfillment of SERVPRO® response commitment.
- Monitor, communicate, and respond to customer needs.
- Maintain communication, address customer needs, and resolve concerns.
Call us at (561) 795-5410 for more information or visit our website at http://www.SERVPROwestpalmbeachfl.com/ to see our complete list of services that we provide to help make any disaster "Like it never even happened".®
Flood Damage Restoration Services Available For Residents In Palm Beach
Don't Get Caught on the Wrong Side After a Storm in Palm Beach--Call SERVPRO for Help
SERVPRO Can Help with Swift Water Removal Post Flooding to Mitigate Damages
Believe it or not, flooding can occur anywhere, anytime, not just in Palm Beach. Sure, we have more of a chance during hurricane season, where natural disasters can play a considerable role. However, it is far more likely to have a flood caused by a faulty appliance or broken pipe year round.
Whether you are facing fresh, or salt-water flood damage in your Palm Beach area home, there is help nearby to get you back on your feet quickly. With 24-hr emergency response teams available at a moments notice, we can have your situation handled far sooner than you might think possible.
SERVPRO provides you with fully certified IICRC technicians who understand how water affects various contents found in your home. We use services specifically designed to adjust to your unique situation, providing you with flood damage mitigation, some repairs, and full restoration solutions to any problem you may be facing.
If you have relevant documents, electronics, or a valuable art collection, SERVPRO's expert services can help. Our document restoration services stop damage in its tracks, helping you secure insurance paperwork, books, photos, artwork and more. We handle each item with care, providing only those restoration services that you approve. If valuable artwork or document restoration is beyond our scope of service, we can typically offer suggests from known, reliable companies.
As with most modern homes, you may have a variety of electronic devices such as DVD players, stereos, televisions, computers, laptops, tablets and a variety of countertop kitchen appliances. SERVPRO can help prevent additional damage and reduce many losses that often occur as a result of flood damage in your home.
We are a team of local flood damage and restoration professionals who carefully provide local members of our community with services they can count on to restore their homes the right way. Calling our office gives you access to restoration experts who do everything possible to provide you with quality, professional services; we want to help you find a solution.
Contact SERVPRO of West Palm Beach for professional cleanup and restoration services anytime, day or night. We are here to help you when you need help the most. (561) 795-5410
For information on coastal protection click right here.
Professional Water Removal Services in Palm Beach
Keep the Water Where It Belongs in Palm Beach--But SERVPRO Is there for Water Damage Restoration
For Palm Beach, SERVPRO Offers Industry-Leading Water Extraction and Restoration Services
I believe we all have ideas as far as water removal is concerned and usually attempt to do something when we face related disasters. However, to what levels should we dry our contents and how do you know what to discard and what to repair? Never take chances if you are a resident of Palm Beach when professionals can efficiently guide you through the restoration process.
For any water removal process in your Palm Beach property to be a success, the equipment that technicians use makes the difference. As a company, SERVPRO understands precisely that, and our team takes the shortest time possible to arrive at the site since an immediate response is crucial to an efficient restoration process. We work hard to mitigate water damages.
There are two ways through which water can damage your content. The first one takes place when materials absorb the water via direct contact. The second way is when they absorb the excess moisture from the air. Either way, our SERVPRO technicians must create appropriate conditions that promote drying. While we can use pumps to extract a substantial amount of water, there are situations where we use detection equipment to measure the moisture level in carpets, walls, and other areas. Moisture meters, moisture sensors, and thermo-hygrometers are some of the equipment that our IICRC certified water damage restoration crew members can use.
The application of dehumidifiers and air movers is part of the procedures that our SERVPRO technicians employ to enhance evaporation. While air movers promote evaporation of moisture from surfaces to the air, dehumidifiers remove the additional moisture from the air thereby lowering the humidity.
Direct contact with water might cause some contents to rot and lead to the release of odors. It is the job of our technicians to identify and remove the sources of the odors. Usually, the odors might have penetrated into tiny spaces and removing the source might not be enough for complete elimination. That is where we introduce deodorization – we use thermal foggers or ULV foggers to spray the deodorants. Our OCT, odor control technicians can make the right call.
SERVPRO of West Palm Beach has a proven record in fire, storm, water and mold restoration. Contact us at (561) 795-5410 and be served by an industry leader.
View this famous area from the air by clicking here.
Removing Mold Damage In West Palm Beach
Mold is a threat that likes to hide in West Palm Beach homes.
Removing Mold Damage
Mold is a threat that likes to hide in West Palm Beach homes. The spores are normally inert and are no more a threat than common dirt that gets tracked in from the backyard. It is only when they have a source of moisture, do mold spores become active and grow unnoticed for weeks and even months.
By the time mold damage to a West Palm Beach home is noticed, the restoration costs can add up to several thousand dollars. Even adding in an insurance policy, the deductible amount still means a homeowner needs a professional company like SERVPRO to make certain he or she gets a good value for their money. We have created a set of four procedures to remove and clean mold as efficiently as possible.
It starts with containment. Technicians seal off every point of entry to the affected area. This includes not just doors and windows, but the air and heating vents as well. It is necessary to prevent loose spores from getting transferred to unaffected parts of the house as we clean the surfaces and prepare infested material we cannot clean for disposal.
That brings us to cleaning and removal. Our actions here depend on the kind of surfaces in the affected area. Inside a home, most are usually only two types. The two types are porous like fabrics, drywall, and carpets or non-porous like plastics, metal, and glass. In the case of porous material, we generally remove fabrics for cleaning like drapes and upholstered furniture and then dispose of drywall and carpets which are very difficult to completely clean and make mold free again.
For non-porous surfaces, technicians wipe them down with a dry cloth or sponge. If the layer is thick, we use an anti-fungal cleaner to break up the mold in order to remove it. After this action, we bring in vacuums with HEPA filters. These filters are designed to capture even a single mold spores off the surface of a table, wall, or countertop.
Now, we wait for loose spores and contaminated dust to settle. Our cleaning actions stir up the air, and it takes time for spores to settle out onto the surfaces again. After enough time, we wipe everything down again and repeat this procedure until our air content meters show mold levels at normal for a home.
Our last step is to check the humidity levels and moisture content of building materials like drywall. If the content is too high, we use dehumidifiers and air movers to lower them in order to reduce the chance of mold starting to grow again after our team departs the home.
The weather looks good now, but more rain is on the way. If you have or suspect, mold in your home, call SERVPRO of West Palm Beach at (561) 795-5410 today. We are here to help.
Visit http://wpb.org/#/welcome for more about West Palm Beach.
How To Deal With Fire Damage Due To Smoke To Your Palm Beach Home?
Smoke is one of the worst things about fire damage to your Palm Beach home.
How To Deal With Fire Damage?
Smoke is one of the worst things about fire damage to your Palm Beach home. Smoke can quickly ruin the walls and ceilings of your property, and it is not easy to clean the damage due to smoke. The particles in smoke are small, unburnt material that is dark in color and can deposit on almost any surface. These particles can not only cause cosmetic damage but also can cause structural damage.
Cleaning smoke after fire damage to your Palm Beach property is a job for the professionals here at SERVPRO. Particles in smoke that are less than 10 micrometers in diameter can get lodged in porous surfaces. If these particles are not cleaned correctly, they can cause an irreversible structural damage to your property.
Call In The Professionals
Smoke residues can be very difficult to clean. If you try to clean them on your own, chances are, you will worsen the situation. Trying to clean smoke covered ceiling or walls can drive the particles deeper into the pores making the damage permanent. Professionals at SERVPRO are trained and have years of experience to do this job. Make sure that you call in the experts rather than trying to clean the smoke damage by yourself. We use various extraction methods to drive these particles out and minimize the damage. Paint on the walls and ceiling can also blister bubble during the fire as well. If it is not restored correctly, it can cause cosmetic and structural problems as well.
The odor is yet another huge problem that accompanies smoke damage. Here at SERVPRO, we use some of the best equipment to combat even the most terrible smoke odors. We use both Wet and Dry Fogging to reach the most difficult to reach places to eliminate odor-causing particles. Our technicians also use air scrubbers to eradicate any lingering smoke particles and get your home smelling like home again.
Limiting the damage and a successful restoration depends on how quickly we can start working. Call SERVPRO of West Palm Beach at (561) 795-5410 to schedule an appointment with one of our experts today.
For more about Palm Beach click here.