Are Aquarium Floods Covered By My Insurance?
Aquariums cause water damage to thousands of homes every year. While aquariums are beautiful, they require constant maintenance and pose risk for your furniture, flooring, and even aquatic animals.
How To Prevent Aquarium Tank Leaks
The most common cause of leaks within fish tanks is a weathering or failing seal on the seams that holds the walls together. Due to the nature of aquarium tanks using electrical systems, fire damage also poses threat to your home and aquarium. Proper maintenance of light fixtures are crucial in fire prevention and electrical safety.
Understand What Specifically Is Covered In Your Home
When you secure a homeowners policy the description of the contents coverage in that policy. It can be tough to determine what insurances classify aquatic animals as (for example fish or livestock). Though, despite the classification, most policies will not pay to replace if they pass away in an aquarium emergency.
Some insurance policies do not cover aquariums over a certain size. Some only cover the water damage to the dwelling in the case of an aquarium accident.
Below are some tips that guide you if you choose to purchase any additional aquarium insurance.
Aquarium Insurance Tips
- Make sure there is not an aquarium size limit on your Insurance Policy or Rental Agreement.
- Determine if equipment loss is covered in your policy or if the carrier requires loss to be recovered through manufactures separately.
- Always get clarification of coverage in writing to refer to later.
- Whenever you change residences understand that the coverage could change, especially if you are moving across states.
- When taking inventory of your home contents to determine what investment value you have, also take stock of any risk or potential loss associated.
- Size of the aquarium could determine whether the damage is covered.
Let A Restoration Company Carefully Handle The Damages
SERVPRO of West Palm Beach will manage your claim directly with insurance agents to streamline the process. Allow a trusted team with expertise and a restore rather than replace mentality handle the process. Call 561-795-5410 today for assistance with your water damage, mold remediation and reconstruction needs.