Insurance Coverage Tips for Storm Damage in West Palm Beach
During storm season the reality is your West Palm Beach home may endure some level of damage. Homeowners should take preventative measures to reduce damage should a major storm hit, regardless of the storm's category. Aside from physically securing the protection of your home’s interior and exterior, it is vital to secure protection via your homeowner’s insurance policy.
Understanding Insurance Coverage and Storm Damage
Your insurance policy is definitely one of the important documents that should be copied and stored in case of a major storm. It should also be thoroughly read through and understood. Examine your policy for details on what events are covered, the amount of coverage, and steps to take should you need to submit an insurance claim after storm damage. Your home’s insurance policy may exclude some types of storm and water damage.
- Most insurance policies may have specified provisions for protection against hurricanes. These provisions may only cover wind damage as additional flood damage policies may be needed. It is important to know your hurricane deductible as well. A hurricane deductible is typically a percentage of what a home insured for.
- Standard homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover flood damage. Though it is not required, flooding can happen relatively anywhere even if your home is not in a high-risk flood zone; purchasing additional flood damage insurance coverage is encouraged.
- Wind & Rain
- Damage caused by wind itself is likely covered through your policy. Water damage from rain, including wind-driven rain, may not be covered in most cases.
Additional Insurance Tips
- Adequate Coverage
- If you are satisfied with the policies you currently have, check that coverage is adequate for your home’s structure, contents, and additional living expenses if needed.
- Mitigate & Document
- Take pictures of your home before & after a storm. These pictures will be vital when submitting an insurance claim based on storm damage.
- Beware of Scam Repair Companies
- The aftermath of a major storm is a great opportunity for many repair companies to offer their services. Not all companies are legitimate or truthful and have hurt homeowner’s who have not done their due diligence on these companies.
It is important to always report all claims and damage to your insurance company. Your agent can help you in determining coverage and next steps to mitigating storm damage, including contacting a storm damage restoration company in West Palm Beach.