Ways to Give Back During Challenging Times in Palm Beach County
Donating does not always mean making a monetary donation to a major organization. Many local organizations and charities are working hard to provide for communities throughout Palm Beach. With the number of people who have been affected by the current pandemic growing each day, there are many different needs and ways to help.
- Donate to Food Pantries: Many food pantries are overwhelmed recently and may have supplies running low. If you are able to, donate canned goods and non-perishables. If you prefer to provide a monetary gift, there are organizations that provide those in need hot, daily meals.
- Donate Essential Items and Personal Protection: There is a great need for hard to find essentials, like household cleaning products, toilet paper, paper towels, soap and more. If you are able to supply these items, many disaster relief funds can benefit from a donation like this, providing support to healthcare organizations and areas with vulnerable communities.
- Virtually Volunteer: Volunteering in person may not be ideal for many during a time of social distancing. Virtual volunteer opportunities do exist that may include tutoring children who are going through a transitionary period of virtual learning. Choose an organization that connects you with quarantined elderly who would love to video chat and enjoy fun conversation during a difficult time.
- Help a Neighbor: The best way to give back might be for someone you know. If you have any neighbors, family, or friends who have compromised immune systems or are older, be sure to check in on them, helping with any tasks they have. A simple trip to the grocery store each week can be a great deal of help.
- Sew Protective Masks: Many healthcare organizations are in need of masks to protect their staff. There are dozens of articles and videos with tutorials on sewing a proper mask. If you have ample time on your hands and the appropriate materials, find a fun pattern and sew away!
Giving back is a wonderful way to show appreciation for all the Frontliners who give to us every day.