If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (561) 795-5410

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Top 5 Causes of Fires in Wellington

3/14/2019 (Permalink)

In two minutes, a Wellington house fire can become life threatening. Fire can turn from a small flame to a major fire within less than 30 seconds. Smoke and toxic gasses travel and affect any inhabitants of the home just as quickly. The color of a fire can turn from a bright flame to thick, dark smoke obscuring any sense of vision. 

These facts are not meant to frighten but are meant to raise awareness. Understanding how fast fire affects a space and the varying damage it creates, is crucial to staying vigilant. Being cognizant of the top 5 fire causes can minimize the risk of home fires.

Top 5 Causes of Home Fires in Wellington

1. Cooking

In 2016, cooking made up for just a little over 50% of U.S. residential fires. It’s no surprise that this is the main driver, when the kitchen holds so many items and incidences that can spark a fire. From frying, boiling, grilling to small grease fires, even accidentally leaving the oven or stove on for too long, fires are imminent without proper precautions.

Staying alert while cooking, removing distractions and preparing a workspace free of anything particularly flammable can greatly lessen the changes of a cooking fire.

2. Heating

While South Florida is not known for its winter months often dropping to temperatures below freezing, there are a few days in the year where it does get uncomfortably cold for native Floridians. Most homes are equipped with central air and heat, there are instances where a space heater, portable or stationary, is utilized. Space heaters too close to items that easily catch fire, like furniture for example, are the leading contributor in starting fires. Improper cleaning of heating devices, whether it is a fireplace or heating system, has also led to 27% of heating related fires.

3. Electrical

Wiring, appliances, even lightbulbs can be the root cause of electrical fires. Your Wellington home is full of wires for your major appliances, TVs, lighting, and more. Faulty, outdated or broken wires can set off a spark or two. Even laying rugs or other materials over or directly on top of wires can cause potential fires.

Lighting is not just limited to the wires producing the light. Lightbulbs installed with a wattage that is too high for the fixture can trigger a fire. As romantic as it seems, laying material over a lampshade or light fixture often results in fire as well.  

4. Open Flames Link

Between 2012-2016, 23 candle related fires were reported per day. That number may seem a bit high for an item that typically has a contained flame and does not take up much space. Lighting a candle or two can be relaxing, however, fires triggered by candles have been due to a homeowner’s leaving the candle unattended. A burning candle through the night or a candle too close to a flammable object have been reported during such incidents.

Using candles does not have to induce fear, there are plenty of tips on how to safely use candles in your home, including staying aware. 

5. Smoking

Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths among all other events. Fires stemming from smoking are not limited to cigars or cigarettes. Fires associated with E-cigarettes have been from battery failure while the battery was being charged or transported. Whether it is a cigarette, pipe, or e-cigarette involved, users should take caution to properly store and use these items. Smoking outside, proper storage and discard of smoking materials help to reduce the number of fires and fire related deaths.

Distraction and carelessness are the root of many fires unfortunately. While some incidents are out of the control of any one person involved, many fires are preventable. Performing due diligence when it comes to everyday tasks or the upkeep of your home is vital to avoid a fire and the long-lasting damage it can cause to your Wellington home. 

Other News

View Recent Posts